With all kinds of crazy occurring at work these days, I feel like it has been consuming me lately. Photo documentation proves otherwise, though. I thought I'd take a minute to procrastinate fill ya'll in on what I've been doing for the past month-ish, and remind myself that I do actually have some semblance of a life. First, my roommate Amanda and I have unofficially declared board game war on her boyfriend and whatever other male he can wrangle into joining Team Testosterone to try and beat us. The first night, the boys dominated us in Cranium. This was a major blow to my ego, as I'm normally a ringer in Cranium. The scars weren't just emotional, though. I acquired the following injury as well.
The next weekend, my dear friends Jenn and Andrew came to visit for the first time since they moved to Illinois back in November. They also brought their unborn baby. Not wanting to wait until he's born to spoil him, I took it upon myself as his favorite aunt to purchase some quality reading material for him. Along with my favorite childhood book The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear, I found a copy of Tillie and the Wall, which happens to be the book that (unbeknownst to Jenn, Andrew, and myself) inspired the name of the band Tilly and the Wall... the first concert Jenn and Andrew ever saw in Austin. Oh, and I found this gem:
The little dude may not understand all of the references, and since his non-Aggie parents won't know how to explain it, he'll have to call Aunt Kelly for some explanations.
On Saturday night of their visit, we met up with some other friends who talked me into playing my second ever game of darts. After being scolded for not being boisterous enough, I stepped up my game. Check out this round:
Don't just skim over it. Really take time to check it out. That is, in fact, a triple 18 and a double bulls-eye. (Double bulls-eye is dead center, for those of you unfamiliar with the detailed rules of darts.) I was pretty amazed with my accuracy.
Oh, my teammate Sarah required that I take a picture of my third dart from that round to show you as well.
Fast forward a few weeks to yesterday. After a complete whirlwind at work, I'd reached the limits of my emotional capacity for stress. My brother called me to hang out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, so I headed down to San Marcos. Just a few weeks from graduating college, Casey is also stressed with all things future or job related. We quickly settled on a pact not to discuss anything related to the "w" word. After he finished detailing his truck from top to bottom, he treated me to a gourmet dinner of pepperoni Hot & Ready pizza from Little Caesar's and a cold beverage. Still enjoying the fantastic weather, we decided to dine al fresco on the tool box of his truck.
Casey ended up sitting in the truck bed, leaning against the tailgate when it struck him how much more comfortable his experience would be if only he could recline against the tailgate. Being the handy man that he is, Casey immediately set to work. He made a quick attempt with some thin wire before realizing the job called for something sturdier like speaker wire. And duct tape, obviously.
In fact, I believe that is the duct tape that Padre got us for our Christmas stockings a few months ago.
He started maneuvering the wire.
and fashioned this apparatus:
Perfect.
Casey was quite pleased with himself. You can only appreciate this if you know him, but he rarely smiles for pictures without Madre there to instruct him. Don't miss his outfit, either. While normally dwelling in the tool-related arts, Casey does dip his toe into fashion every once in a great while. Most recently, he took a plain t-shirt and made some adjustments to create this sophisticated number:
Here he is, enjoying a job well done:
I took this picture for him to send to a few friends who immediately granted him the title of Redneck MacGyver.
I wasn't going to miss out on the fun, so I jumped down to kick my feet up with Casey and bask in his crafstmanship.
It must be the camera flash making my legs look so white. I assure you, I'm quite bronzed in reality.
Oh, and my legs were too short to prop up on the tool box. Fortunately, Casey came up with a wooden beam for me to use a foot rest.
And here we are tonight. Just about an hour ago, I was making some hummus and getting food together for lunch tomorrow when I found the following in my bag of pre-cut baby carrots:
In case you aren't able to tell how disproportionally large this monolith of a carrot is, I'll include one of its offspring for comparison.
Someone in quality control must have taken the day off.
Whew. And we're caught up. Mostly.
There is a lot of catching up to do with the insanity at work, but that will have to wait for now.
Goodnight.
















No comments:
Post a Comment