3.24.2010

Today in math class, we were continuing a unit on area and perimeter.  Our lesson was a particularly tricky one, so there were a lot of questions.  We were in the middle of a productive question-answer session to follow the lesson and were on quite a roll.  Usually it's difficult to keep 12-13 year olds focused for more than 6.2 seconds, so I was excited that they were so involved and attentive.  Or so I thought.  I called on one boy to ask his question. 

"Miss, you got a new ring!" 

"Yes.  Yes, I did." 

Really?  What does that have to do with math?  (I know, I know.  This is karma paying me back big time for being the tangent queen who prided herself on getting teachers off topic in school.  And no, I don't really believe in karma.)  But really?  Why on earth would a 13 year old boy bring this up?  Oddly enough, it was not the first time a boy in this class had been so interested in my jewelry.  Take, for instance, this ring: 


Not a great picture, but it's one of my favorite rings.  I bought it at acl last year, and I adore it.  I have no idea what it says, or even what language the writing is.  It's completely illegible.  But since it looks so aged and fancy, "Timmy" concluded that my ring is a piece of the original Declaration of Independence. 

(I told him it was a good guess, but this was actually from the preamble to the Constitution.)

The bling that caught "Luke's" attention today:  



Isn't it presh?  La beast has been fostering an appreciation for all things fancy in me, so I couldn't resist when I saw this at Target the other day.  Luf it.  

On a side note, I may need a Target intervention soon.  If you have the opportunity, stop me from shopping there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment