3.02.2010

Oh man, oh man.  

I was doing so well keeping up with this thing.  Then I miss twice in one week.  Dang it.  I guess I can only play the "I'm human" card.  BUT that means a two-for Tuesday for you!

Since we last left off... 

Welcome to March!  To kick off the month, I went to my friend Danny's for an impromptu dinner gathering.  He called me from the grocery store to look up the recipes for him and check a few ingredients when I discovered a problem.  He was making (ugh) Rachel Ray recipes.  It's true.  I hate her.  I decided to put differences aside, though, and just have a good time.  The anti-R.R. crew added a few members when our "thirty-minute" meal took closer to a hundred to actually create.  

Pictured:  our pesto chicken (made with pistachios instead of the usual pine nuts) and caesar spaghetti







Now for today.  I voted in my first primary election... almost. I got an email from Poppy during my lunch break reminding me to vote in the Texas primary elections.  I mean, our school was a polling site.  How hard could it be, right?  Well I went in after school ended and experienced a few minutes of feeling like a complete idiot.  They scanned my license and my name did not appear.  

"Did you register?"  

Of course I did.  Wait, I registered for the last Presidential election.  That counts, right?  Shoot, I wish I could remember back to Senior Government from high school - what are the rules again? "Oh, I thought I did.  I voted in 2008."  Lightbulb!  "Wait, I just realized I voted in Travis County.  This is Williamson.  Is that the problem?"  Yep.  They informed me that I did in fact need to vote in Travis county, but told me that polls would be open til 7pm.  No problem.  I would have plenty of time to get everything done and bolt to a new polling site by then.  Tomorrow is the first day of TAKS testing, so our school has a crazy schedule and I had to get my disaster of a classroom ready for another teacher to work in there all day.  I finally left and 6 and headed to an elementary school down the street from my old apartment.  



This place was much busier than our school was.  I waited in line about ten minutes and then had my license scanned again.  

"Did you move?" 

Is this a joke?  "Yes, I moved further south, but I'm still in Austin."  She handed me an address form to fill out and told me to cut back in line when I was finished.  At that point she scanned my license again. 

"Oh, I'm sorry.  You can't vote here.  This isn't your precinct."  She gave me back the address card to kee with me and told me where the nearest polling site in my precinct was located.  It was 6:36.  I could maybe make it in time.  Maybe.  I headed back on the road and tried racing across rush hour traffic.  Nope.  Wrong turn.  Aaaaaaaaaaand a few missed road signs.  6:45 and still nowhere close.  

Sorry, Poppy!!!!  I tried!!!!

I got home, ravenously hungry at this point, and pumped to curl up and watch American Idol.  At least they will take my vote? 

1 comment:

  1. Kells, I'm proud of you and the fact that you tried your darnest!
    Poppy
    P.S. Hope this posting works. Still learning.

    ReplyDelete