YIKES!
I know. I know. It's been a whole week.
Eesh.
All I can really say is that it was a hectic, busy, chaotic, crazy week. At one point, I remembered seeing Lindsay Lohan on a nighttime talk show about her latest tattoo: the word "breathe" in white ink on her wrist.
She joked that she has asthma and needed the reminder.
When I remembered this, I immediately wrote "relax" on my hand in Sharpie. That's the kind of week it was for me: one in which I was gaining insight and stress management techniques from scripted Lindsay Lohan jokes.
That being said, I survived and have a few highlights to share. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday nights training 8th grade students to be leaders for the incoming 6th graders at an orientation day on Friday. Late Thursday afternoon I found out that there was a miscommunication and the letter sent home to the sixth graders had different times printed on it than the ones around which we had planned the entire day. I fully expected to have to sing and dance around for the 6th graders to entertain them and to deal with 90 freaking out 8th graders in the meantime. Instead, my 8th graders stepped up big time. Without any preparation or guidance, they improvised songs, games, and dances to pump up the 6th graders. They found 6th graders who didn't speak English and arranged for them to be placed in groups with Spanish-speaking leaders. They intercepted 6th graders who had wandered away from their groups and helped adults get them back to their groups. All without a single hiccup. I was so proud of them that I almost cried. Proud parent tears. I'm still blown away by them. You might have to experience me bragging about them in the future. Just a warning.
After Friday's orientation, the brother and I headed up to Dallas to take family portraits. Even though I was home just a few days ago, it was so good to be back again. I got to enjoy some quality time with the parents and see my favorite girls in the world. We sat around eating Mego's gumbo and watched Friends. That summarizes most of our time spent together. That, and losing to Katy in Phase 10. As far as the family portraits go, let me just say that Madre's car read the outside temperature at 107 when we began shooting. We wore jeans and boots. And sweat. We had fun, though, due to the salt, limes, and accompanying beverages.
Lastly, I finally saw The Expendables with Svajda. I have a problem with building up expectations for movies so much that they sometimes don't live up to the hype. That didn't happen in this case. It. Was. Awesome. Ladies, do yourself a favor and go see it for Jason Statham, if nothing else. Yum.
Today was the first offical day of school, and it was my twentieth 1st day of school since I started Kindergarten.
My amazingly thoughtful father has given me flowers on the first day of school for twenty years without exception. They always brighten up my classroom and give me a chance to brag about my awesome parents. In this bouquet, I especially adore the blue flowers. I'm not sure what they're called, but I will try to find out and let you know.
First day down. I took an hour-long nap the second I got home, and will be diving into bed shortly. Unless someone makes my dream come true and shows up to rub my shoulders. I could not want anything more than I want that right now. At this exact moment, nothing would make me happier. If you are reading this, you know have the power to make my dream come true. No pressure. =)


No comments:
Post a Comment