I think I was born to live in the country.
(Ok, for the record, I can hear Madre cackling with laughter after reading that first sentence. And the rest of my fam joining her having read the second one.)
But seriously, it's strange how much I feel at home out in the middle of nowhere.
The picture above is the toolshed at a house where I went tonight for a "5th of July Cookout".
It took me fewer than twenty minutes to get there from my house in the 'burbs, but was still so isolated from city-dom.
Gah. I would love to have that tree in my front yard.
Why, hello there sunset.
Oh how it would be nice to watch you from a front porch rocking chair every night with a glass o' lemonade.
This is about 3/5 of the driveway up to the house.
Oh, and there were bees. For some reason, I was born without the gene that's supposed to make me nervous and frightened by all things creepy and crawly, so the bees didn't bother me. They did bother Luis, the gentleman living in the house, though, and we had the following exchange:
Luis: Yeah, they're supposed to come take the bees away, but they've been saying that for awhile now. We can't kill them.
Me: Wait. What do you mean you "can't kill them"? Like, you're freaked out by bees and don't want to deal with it?
Luis: No, apparently they're a species of bee that is almost extinct, so we're not supposed to kill them. People are coming to remove them and take them someplace safe.
Me: (Resigned silence) Mmkay then.
For the record, the bees were harmless. At least while I was there.
The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment