7.05.2010


Sorry for the pathetic picture yesterday.  I was out late with various Fourth of July festivities, and I knew I wouldn't be awake long enough to write anything substantial.  The picture from yesterday is a screenshot of my computer when Ian and I watched the movie Chalk, a mockumentary about teaching that was filmed in Austin.  For the most part, it was a painfully accurate representation of my job.  The only major discrepancy I found is that the classes in the movie were all around 15 students.  I typically have double that.  The movie was pretty funny though - even Ian was enjoying it!  It was also one of the things on my list to cross off!  I had to remove the East Austin Studio Tour because I found out that it's an official tour that won't take place until November, but I plan on going then.  

The bridge pictured above is part of the Capital of Texas Highway in Austin.  I used to take that highway to drive to my nanny jobs during my first summer here.  I had to drive about 30 minutes each way, but it was so picturesque that I enjoyed every second of it.  Last night I joined Ian and some of his high school friends to watch the fireworks, and we sat underneath the bridge, just off Lake Austin.  After waiting seemingly forever and enduring several "false alarms" from "scrub neighborhood sideshows", the main attraction finally begun.  It turns out I have a fireworks setting on my camera, so I attempted to capture some of the show: 











After awhile it seemed like most of my pictures just looked like jellyfish, so I gave up and sat back to enjoy.  Every summer when I watch fireworks, I think of the movie The Sandlot and Ray Charles' version of "America the Beautiful".  In my opinion, that song should be the soundtrack to any and all patriotic celebrations.  and fireworks shows.  and baseball games.  



1 comment:

  1. OMG-I love the movie Chalk!
    also thanks for the postcards!

    ReplyDelete