7.28.2010

Preface: My apologies for the lack of a post yesterday.  As it turns out, all efforts to convince my body that I'm 95 years of age and need to be asleep at times considered "PM" are working and that picture of my clock was taken approximately 14 seconds before I fell asleep.  

(Oh, and I'm about to weed out all my uncles who claim to read this but really don't.  There's no way they're going to read this without commenting.)

"Would you rather never taste food again or never hear music again?" 

This hypothetical question was posed last weekend while I was floating down the Guadalupe River during my disastrously unsuccessful attempt to see Ghostland Observatory.  While my four fellow tubers debated their responses, carefully weighing the pros and cons of each potential selection, I answered immediately.  I had no doubt whatsoever.  While I love music, can't remember the last time I didn't have a song stuck in my head, and spent several years contemplating a career in the music industry, nothing could trump how much I love food.  I delight in trying new restaurants.  I pore over cookbooks as if I'll be tested over them.   I spend most Sundays camped out in the kitchen preparing various culinary treats for the week.  I love music.  But I love food.  No need to ponder a response. 

Or so I thought. 

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon.  I arrived home from summer school and checked my email.  I found the following, sent to me by my college (and current) roommate's former accounting professor: 


Oh. my. gosh.  For real?  I immediately replied and he sent me a link to print out the tickets.  For free.  Oh. my. gosh.  Did this really just happen?  I had previously been making plans with brother to hang out, so I alerted him to the change of plans to make sure he was game.  He was in.  Shortly thereafter, I hopped in the car to work out.  As I drove down MoPac, the skies opened up and God poured out an ocean's worth of rain.  I forgot to mention that the concert is outside.  Dear Lord, I'm so glad I live in Texas where the weather can change drastically at any point.  Puh-leeeeeease let the rain stop.  Pretty please?  A few hours and many traffic jams later, I caught up with Case downtown.  We grabbed a bite to eat at Iron Cactus and set out for Stubb's.  We were easily thirty years younger than the median age of the crowd there.  We missed the opener, but Casey led us to a primo location centered in front of the stage, maybe 30 yards back.  Awesome.  



Before forming Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant had created the Band of Joy.  He reprised the name this year for his tour.  

Check out that hair - awesome. 


I'm pretty sure my brother almost peed himself with excitement when he found out Darrell Scott was onstage playing steel guitar.  Then Scott took the mic for a song of his own.  Brother definitely peed himself with excitement then. 


Reason 293847329847 why I love Austin: not only can I see Robert Plant playing a live show in 2010 on a Monday night, but I get to see him perform with support from a country singer, a producer, an Austin folk hero, together playing songs in every genre from classic rock to old hymns.  And I get to watch guys like this "shake their tail feathers" to every single song: 



This was easily the best concert I've ever attended.  The fact that there were no tweens in sight: icing on the cake.


Fan-stinkin'-tastic.  

Moral of the story?  Account profs are awesome!!



No comments:

Post a Comment