The original plan for today was to float the Guadalupe. Mother Nature was apparently pissed she didn't get an invite, so she literally rained on our parade. (Yes, I had a parade planned.) In an effort to maintain our summer up-for-anything-ness, we headed to Lockhart, Texas, to eat lunch at one of Robert's barbecue recommendations.
I'm trying to be somewhat good about what I eat, so I opted to stay pretty boring with brisket, gravy-less mashed potatoes, and a to-die-for roll.
Robert went a little more traditional and piled on some beans, sausage, and "nana pudding."
Sam and I were admiring the decor at Black's Barbecue ("Open 8 Days a Week"), and she particularly enjoyed the presence of many horns. She swears it's a Texan thing and not a Longhorn thing. I haven't decided whether or not I buy that. We both agreed on the awesomeness of having a stuffed Jackalope in the middle of a dining area though.
My favorite part, by far, was this treasure hung on the wall among dozens of pictures of the Black family and the "Black's only NFL player":
I'm not sure if you can read the caption or not, but it is a picture from Ring Dance at A&M in 1949. I don't know Edgar and Norma Jean, but they made one handsome couple.
After lunch, I made what must be my 937th trip to Home Depot in the last 15 days. I picked up some spray paint for a few projects for my room and some felt for our dining room chairs.
(My apologies for posting such a boring picture, but I felt the need to prove to myself at least that I did something mildly productive today.)
The main reason for the HD excursion was to find a washer to finally connect the ice maker in the fridge that madre y padre so generously contributed to my new abode. Our house was completely gutted and redone before we moved in, and when the delivery men brought the fridge they informed us that what looked like an ice maker valve was in fact a dishwasher valve. "No problem, though" they insisted. We just needed to get this adapter:
to screw onto the valve and it'd be fine. He actually had this one to give us as an example, but it was missing the rubber washer to go inside. Between padre, brother, and me, there have been at least 7 trips to find the correct parts... all unsuccessful. Today I was informed by an absolutely confident team of plumbing associates at the Depot that I needed a fiberglass gasket, not a rubber washer. The gasket fit perfectly... but still doesn't keep the valve from leaking. AGHHHHHH!!!!! If anyone reading this is a plumbing expert in the Austin area, let me know. I need your help!
3 days til I see my girls!!






No comments:
Post a Comment