6.19.2010

Today I was not able to cross anything off my list, as I was much too consumed with resting from a busy night last night.  I promised a more detailed account of the events, so here goes: 

To kick off the tackling of the to-do list, my partner in crime Robert and I headed to the Clay Pit for some Indian food. 


I remember Libby taking me for Indian food once in high school, but it's definitely been awhile.  Fortunately, Robert knew what he was doing and recommended a goat dish that was quite tasty.  

Then we headed to the South Congress Bridge to watch the bats.  For those who may or may not be familiar with this nightly spectacle, here's the gist: millions (not exaggerating) of bats hang out underneath the bridge until around sunset and they all fly away at the same time to get food during the night.  Why this is such a tourist-attraction, I don't know.  I have to chalk it up to Austin's priding itself on staying weird.  For more details, you can read here, but let me assure you, the Austinites provide plenty of people-watching and entrepreneurial spectacles at which to marvel.  

For example, you can purchase both popsicles: 



and light sabers: 



Also, the bats are not the only animals that show up.  We were also greeted by a goose, who quickly stole the spotlight from the bats for the time he hung out on the grassy knoll with everyone.  



At this point, Stopa showed up and instantly began entertaining us with his fear of being attacked by the bats and his distrust for the gypsy/genie people who could capture so many different frequencies of lights in those bat-repelling wands.  Or something like that.  

At long last, the bats flew out, and then we were reunited with the goose on the walk back to our cars.  After a little bit, we decided to cross one more thing off the list and have a game night.  Three people definitely wouldn't cut it, so we enlisted the roommate Kristin to join us.  We never made it to playing Battle of the Sexes, but our boys vs. girls tournament was decided heavily in favor of the ladies.  Kristin and I kicked butt at Catch Phrase and Buzzword.  I'm for sure looking forward to a rematch!  

With all of that activity yesterday, I was understandable exhausted and spent a long time today sleeping.  The roommates and I also decorated our patio with cute paper lanterns and twinkle lights.  Check em out: 

Here you can also see the sun jars that I made last summer: 


and we framed the door with twinkle lights:  



We also added a few things to spruce up the inside, including flowers in a few rooms and this incredible canvas that Kristin created:  


She is ridiculously talented.  Oh, and she can play "Party in the U.S.A." on guitar, so it's clear that she's a one-woman wonder!  

1 comment:

  1. Holler!! Chicken Tikka Masala is my favorite, with Lamb Vindaloo as a close second. And lots of garlic naan.

    I made Sun Jars last summer too! One of my very favorite projects. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete