10.19.2010

Today was a good day for me as a sports enthusiast.  

To begin, tonight's MNF game solidified my very first fantasy football game.  I have never been able to manage balance in any arena of my life.  This win was no exception.  Racking up a total of 102.35 points, I was only 0.15 points shy of doubling my opponent... who also happens to be my boss.  I did a little research into our league history (all six weeks of it), and this is the third largest win margin!  

Best of all, I made a couple roster changes on Saturday all by myself.  No outside help, not even a consult or recommendation - I can claim this one for myself!  (Sorry Schwa, BJG-E didn't make the cut.)


Besides my fictional football win, I got to enjoy a real win for the Rangers.  I will be honest, I've never been a huge baseball fan.  Despite my seven years playing softball and padre taking me to quite a few games when I was a wee little one, I went to a Rangers game at the end of high school and it took me seven innings just to find the scoreboard.  That being said, Lego and Mego brought the enthusiasm big time over the weekend.  Combine that with my love for an underdog and the team's association with my favorite villainized former president, and I'm in.  Show me where to sign.  (Let the record show that Madre dropped the Rangers during their 8th inning downfall on Friday night and retreated back to her Yankee roots.  She's officially flip-flopping.)

This new-found enjoyment of America's pastime has brought with it an even bigger discovery.  I mean, I knew about it in the back of my head, but I never quite made the realization for myself just how clearly baseball and I were meant to be together.  To understand this, you need to know one fact about me: 

I love moustaches. 

I don't just like them, or even like, like them.  

It's a deeply rooted fondness and adoration.  

A good 'stache can absolutely change my outlook on a bad day.

I don't know how I never realized that baseball is the source of some of the best facial hair masterpieces ever produced by this great country.  

Take, for example, current Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux: 


To me, this 'stache (and accompanying soul-patch) is sternly proclaiming "I mean business.  You will do whatever I ask, without question."  It also has the potential, though, to unleash a hearty chortle and wide, grandfatherly grin.  It's true, I haven't actually seen this, but I have faith that it's hiding in there somewhere.  See how versatile a moustache can be?

Moustaches are also timeless.  

People will try to tell you otherwise.  People will compare moustaches to Oprah's decades of hairstyles.  

Don't let them mislead you.  

Exhibit A: Current Rangers manager Ron Washington.  This picture is from his baseball card - I couldn't find the exact year, but it was during his career as a player from 1977-1989. 



(Sidenote: If you told me that this picture was actually one of Dave Chappelle, I would believe you.)

Exhibit B:  Ron Washington again, current.  



Look at him rockin' the same 'stache, 20-30 years later!  Awesome. 

That joy on his face?  It results directly from the 'stache.  

The dangerous realization that came along with discovering how baseball and I are MFEO: if baseball ever ceases to fulfill my desire to witness some fantastic facial hair, I have nowhere to turn but NASCAR.  Yikes. 

Lastly, my Aunt Chef has put forth a vote for Jersey in my poll of where to live.  She cited Snookie and the Situation as the state's strengths.  Again, I beg, help!




1 comment: