2.08.2010

February 8th is a big day for me.

Five years ago today, I decided to be a teacher.  At the time, I was taking an education class for a diversity credit.  One week before this, a friend found out I was taking the class and asked if I was an education major.  "Absolutely not.  Not a chance.  Definitely not."  Oops.  So much for that.  The next day I was eating lunch in Hullabaloo Cafe (soon-to-be home of the beloved Lunch Bunch of Spring 2005) with Jenny as we shared our major epiphanies from the previous day.  "February 8th was a huge day for us."  

Since then, I've been anything but sure of my future as a teacher.  There are oh-so many days when I envy my friends who spend their Sunday nights watching movies and football while I am at home writing lesson plans.  Or when they get to leave work at 5 and actually leave their work at work.

Tonight, for example, I have spent the past 3ish hours working on this: 


I've finished that stack of tests, but I still have the following tests and homework assignments to sort through: 



Ugh.  This is not meant to be a whine-fest though.  

Yesterday I got to talk with my wise friend Dady for a good long while after church.  I remembered that today was an important anniversary of sorts for me, and expected her to just laugh it off like everyone else does when I remember the exact calendar date of any random occurrence in my life.  Instead, she drew attention to the fact that God had placed the call to teach on my heart.  Woah.  I had completely forgotten about that.  It's easy to forget in the day-to-day grind, but her reminder brought me much needed and much appreciated peace.  


No comments:

Post a Comment